I love the fact that the proprietor of the charity shop around the corner from me, has such a keen interest in vintage tea towels, that head office send all the tea towels that come in, directly to our branch. Ever since my mother-in-law explained to me that linen tea towels dry dishes significantly better than good old cotton ones, I find it hard to buy anything else*. The ones at my local store 'After-a-Fashion' (excellent word play) are predominantly linen, in mint condition and never more than $7. I have ummed and ahhed over printed Mexican embroideries, Australian wildlife sketches and 70's Pucci-esque abstracts; here are a few of the loveliest I've made off with.

100% linen. Screen-printed rosella, swallow and lorikeet scene.

54% linen, 46% cotton. By Ross. Screen-printed Australian butterflies.

100% Irish linen. By Dunmoy. Screen-printed pipe-smoking walrus in roll top bath.

60% linen, 40% cotton. By Murray Views. Screen-printed kitsch Cairns collage.

*Actually true.



Henry has a lunch time group of friends that is now apparently 'a club'. I don't know what they do. I think club duties include running around and making up rules for stuff. Fun time.

The club members decided they needed badges with their initials on. Henry told them that his mum was good at making things and that she would make the badges. From fabric. I don't know exactly what he had in mind; blanket stitched edges? Hand embroidered lettering? Quilted borders? It's too near the end of term for me to have anything close to that kind of energy left (as if I would anyway), so I convinced him that felt stuck onto circles of cereal box with safety pins gaffer-taped to the back would be just excellent. They turned out pretty nicely, and the idea can be adapted/embellished upon to create any badge you (or your child) desires.

Here are the blueprints left on my desk by Henry, with the instructions "The deadline's the last Friday of term". Ok boss.

And the equipment needed. I got the 'Pijamas' font here.

To make them, I glued the felt to the cardboard, drew around an egg cup to get the badge shape, then cut out both layers at once. I cut out the printed letters, PVA'd them to the felt, then Henry coloured them in when the glue had dried. The back is literally just a safety pin, stuck on with gaffer tape.

I love this boy: